With the availability of sweet, fresh Spring carrots, it’s the perfect time to make a popular Indian dessert, Gajar Halwa. This is a dessert that is actually good for you since it’s packed with lots of Vitamin C, Vitamin K, and fiber from the carrots. The addition of dried fruits and nuts adds even more nutritional value.
This recipe is totally vegan, but you could use regular milk instead of soy milk and ghee or clarified butter instead of coconut oil.
- 5 cups Grated Carrot
- 4 cups Soy Milk
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1-3 teaspoons Cardamom Powder (We like to buy the cardamom pods and grind our own)
- Coconut oil
- Chopped Pistachio
- Golden Raisins
Start by making your Nut Topping. Add Chopped pistachios to a stovetop pan and roast for 3-4 minutes over medium heat until fragrant. Be careful not to burn.
- Add Raisins to the pan with a teaspoon of coconut oil and let them swell for 1-2 minutes. Then remove from heat and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon coconut oil to a larger pan with grated carrots and sauté for 2-3 minutes over medium heat until carrots are fragrant.
- Add soy milk to the pan and stir continuously or often to prevent the carrot from sticking to the bottom of the pan
- When the moisture has mostly cooked out (about 35-45 minutes) you can add the sugar. Adding the sugar will release more liquid. Keep stirring over heat until the liquid mostly cooks out again.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of coconut oil./li>
- Stir in cardamom powder and let simmer for 2-3 more minutes.
- Dish up Halwa and top with toasted nuts and raisins.
Serving tip: Serve Halwa with your favorite vegan pistachio or vanilla ice cream